Sunday, June 21, 2009

First weekend as a resident of Hong Kong.

My first weekend as a temporary resident of this city and I have to say I love it. On Friday I went out with some buddies to a couple bars and met some people from Germany and New Zealand. For those of you who doubted at all that Germans can drink you are horribly, horribly mistaken. The guys from New Zealand were tight too; I will admit though seeing an Asian with an Australian-like accent ranks among the wildest things I've seen. haha

On Saturday the people from my program went to Victoria Peak and Stanley Market. Victoria Peak is the highest point in the city and seriously one of the most amazing places I've ever been too. It has views of both the city on one side and the other islands near Hong Kong on the other. It was just...surreal. And I don't think I've ever used that word before. After that we went to Stanley Market where you could supposedly get knockoff anything. I gotta say I did see some cool stuff but for the most part I was disappointed.

Some good did come out of it tho; some guys from my program, Robert and J, asked if I wanted to kick back with them and roll to the beach. This other guy Lamm and I decided to roll with them so we bought a pair of knockoff boardshorts (SO convenient) for like $10 and grabbed some beers. The beach was awesome. I have to decided to judge the legitimacy of a place from now on by how many locals are there; if there's a lot then you know it's a good spot and there were hella locals at the beach. We met these two girls from our program, Julianna and Eugenia, there and kicked it for like 4 hours just swimming, bullshitting, and hanging out. It was a really good time because they're not people I talk to in the program a lot but After that we caught a bus back to the train station (still bullshitting around the whole way), got back to Kowloon Tong, grabbed some food, and came home.

That night we didn't get out til late but we went to this crazy nightclub called Azure. For those of you that don't know me too well I'm not big on the whole nightclub scene but this place was pretty tight. It was on the 30th floor of a hotel in downtown and had sick views of the city. Even the toilet in the bathroom had an amazing view, definitely one of the coolest pisses I've taken in my life.

Today, as could be expected, was laid back. Woke up at like noon and lounged around until I decided to go explore a little bit with some friends. We ended up going to this place and getting massages cause the beds at the dorms are total garbage. Before any speculation is made, NO I did not get a "happy ending"; it was a legit massage place. After coming home I played some basketball and kicked back. Now...bedtime. I hope you are all well.

J

P.S. Evidently tomorrow there may be a storm which may mean no work, keep your fingers crossed for me.

1 comment:

  1. ah your photos are so cool! makes me wish i was there...missing you jd!

    ReplyDelete