Thursday, June 25, 2009

A couple reasons why like I Hong Kong

Throughout my time here I have begun to think of reasons why I like this city. Obviously, it's one of the biggest cities in the world and just a total melting pot of different cultures (see last post for brief list of drinking buddies). But other than that there are just little things that I have come to observe and like.

I love that everything is so efficient. From public transit, to the grocery stores, to McDonald's putting your order up right when you're at the corner, to even the way people walk to work, everything is done in the most efficient way possible. Oh and yes, the Octopus card, this is where I think America is really lagging. I can use this thing to ride the train, buy groceries and things at vending machines, and even get into the horse track. And all you have to do is swipe it over a reader....sooo legit.

Free newspapers are also high up there. If it wasn't for the free paper (and a lot of free time at work) I would be completely lost on world events. What a better idea to keep all your citizens informed than to offer them free newspapers. Brilliant.

I think what I love the most is the hustle though. Everyone here, and I do mean EVERYONE, is on the grind constantly. Seriously...C.R.E.A.M. by Wu-Tang Clan should be the national anthem of this city. Everywhere you go there are places to shop or people trying to make money in some way. It's fucking beautiful to watch and I have a deep respect for it. If you think you have a hustle and a drive to make money, I challenge you to come here.

In other news, work is going alright. There isn't much for me to do right now so I just kind of hang out. I did make it to the horse races at Happy Valley last night. It was the last race until September so I'm glad I got to go. It was awesome, except for the losing money part. I did get free laundry out of it though so that was nice.

Well I'm getting tired. Another big day of hanging out at the office tomorrow. GL asked me to write something nice about him....G, you give great haircuts. Seriously, for a brokeass pair of clippers and doing it in a dormroom in China you go good work my friend. And the lineup was legit too.

Love and miss you all. Peace.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment