Sunday, July 19, 2009

Last full weekend in Hong Kong

So I realized I have been slacking on this whole blogging thing but I've been trying to spend as little time as possible in my room as of recently since I have roughly three more weeks in Hong Kong and want to be out and about as much as possible. I hope you all understand.

This weekend was my last full weekend in HK since next weekend I'll be in Thailand and the weekend after that I'll be in Macau. Rough life, I know. On Friday we went to this place called Red in IFC2 where you can bring your own bottles and still enjoy a nice view of the city. After that we went around to a couple bars but didn't really do anything special to note. I will say that I had a great time though.

Saturday was a much more eventful day. I went on this walking trail that led to this place called Big Wave Bay that was absolutely amazing. The trail itself was a little long but there some beautiful views and even crazy looking spiders along the way. The beach itself was really nice. It's a surf spot but there were a lot of people just swimming around in the waves and enjoying themselves. There was also a typhoon nearby this weekend so we got a couple heavy blasts of wind that caused some chaos with flying umbrellas and shit like that but made for good waves. It was funny that our first thought when the winds came was "Typhoon! Let's get in the water!". All in all a good time though. After that we went home cause we were supposed to have a really nice dinner that ended up being cancelled due to the weather. A bunch of us ended up going out though for dinner on our own at this really good local place that specializes in crab.

Even though we were all in the mood to go out partying that night we ended up going back to the dorms cause it was supposed to get real shitty out and we didn't want to have to sleep in a club waiting for the weather to pass. Not to fear though; we all bought a bunch of beer and ended up playing beer pong in the dorms. We used a piece of plywood I got for my bed and some tables from our common room. A tad bit ghetto I know but it worked out perfectly for our purposes. A lot of people ended up staying in too so we got a pretty solid group of people together. Highlights of the night were Andres and an apple (two unrelated incidents, mind you).

Speaking of ghetto thanks to the heavy rains my laptop got completely screwed up cause water leaked in through my AC. The keyboard is shot to shit but the screen works fine. I think I have to wait til I get back to the U.S. to get a new one though so this is going to be a HUGE inconvenience.

Yesterday (Sunday) we woke up and made our way (with some difficulty) to a place called Monkey Mountain. Contrary to what Will thinks this is not a bar but rather exactly what it sounds like: a mountain with a shitload of wild monkeys all over the place. I thought we were going to have to do some hiking to see them but they were literally right alongside the road. It was so crazy seeing all of them as there were literally hundreds walking around. We tried to walk some of the trails cause we thought we'd see more but all we saw was a nice lake/reservoir and some random utilities outposts. After monkey mountain we ate at some local food stand in Tai Wai. I ordered some octopus and the lady looked at me and laughed thinking that I didn't know what I was getting into. The octopus was a little tough but damn cheap and pretty good for its price. We got some other random things there also that all ended up being good despite the fact we had no idea what we were eating. We made our way home after that and decided to play a little pong. We got a good group of people going again and were even treated to some chips/dip and quesadillas by one of the girls who works for the program.

All in all, I'd say I had a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment